You guys, I am so excited about Prince Harry's recent engagement to Meghan Markle. I'm an unabashed fan of the British monarchy and have enjoyed watching William and Kate grow their family over the past few years, so I'm shamelessly happy to see the same happening for Harry.
I can't really explain my interest; it's just one of those things in the zeitgeist that makes me inexplicably happy. Perhaps it's the intersection of tradition, style, and politics that intrigues me. I've also just considered Kate a role model for some time, so I'm excited to now have another strong, interesting woman in the Windsor family.
I'm sure you've seen a lot about Meghan over the past few days in passing, but I wanted to compile ten things that have me really excited about the engagement and to see the work that she and Harry do in the future:
- She will be the first American to marry into the royal family since Wallis Simpson who, ironically, led Edward VIII to abdicate the throne, ultimately leading to Elizabeth II to become heir to the throne.
- She is a bi-racial, divorced American actress who is three years older than Harry, making this engagement a huge (and totally necessary) step forward for the monarchy if you look at the history of marriage protocol.
- When she was eleven, she wrote letters to Hillary Clinton and a soap manufacturer in response to a sexist soap commercial which actually resulted in the commercial being changed.
- Harry allegedly proposed while the couple were cooking a roast chicken at Nottingham Cottage in Kensington Palace, which is basically the most idyllic thing I've ever heard.
- She's likely the most relatable person to marry into the Windsor family. With no ties to nobility whatsoever, she really brings a fresh perspective and energy to the monarchy.
- She has been honored for her humanitarian work. Meghan has worked as an ambassador for the United Nations, World Vision in Rwanda, has worked in India advocating for women living in slums, and more.
- She, in a sense, is a modern Grace Kelly: an established American-born actress bringing a breath of fresh air to a foreign monarchy.
- She is a former blogger! She ran a lifestyle website called The Tig up until recently.
- She is a major source of street style inspiration. Where Kate gives us a more traditional, Sloane Ranger meets country estate style, Meghan's look is modern, edgy, and inspiring even as it slowly, inevitably becomes more conservative.
- She comes from an inspiring family: