I’m about two weeks out from my trip to Europe and am so excited. We’re spending my birthday in London, then hopping over to the Netherlands (as my family heritage is very, very Dutch. In fact, my ancestors were some of the first Dutch settlers of New York, making us Knickerbockers!). I'm a big planner and get pretty extra in the planning process so I’ve been sketching out my outfit ideas for weeks already and have finally gotten it down to what I think will be my final packing list.
I’ve left a few things off this list like my pajamas and workout clothes, but those things have little relevance to my daily outfits so I decided to keep this list more streamlined. I’m only taking a carry-on, which would have once been daunting to me but after living in NYC, I’ve become adept at packing light. The trick is to plan your outfits ahead of time, pack smart (I use the Kon-Mari folding method), and choose pieces you’ll be able to mix and match.
A little background on what I’m expecting in terms of weather and activities that I kept in mind when choosing what to pack. The weather should be in the high 60s during the day, getting a little chillier at night. We’re not expecting much rain, but you never know in these areas, so I kept that possibility in mind. In London, most of our activities will be exploring the city and having picnics in the park, then going to the Harry Potter Studio Tour which, of course, requires a certain look.
As for the Netherlands, things are a little less structured but I’ve considered outfits that work for cycling as well as a look for a day spent outdoors, when we go out of the city and into the forest near the border of Holland and Germany. I needed something sporty for that day, but also pulled together and cozy.
packing for ten days in Europe
10) Statement Raffia Earrings - I’m definitely a statement earring girl, so I’ll be bringing my raffia pair as well as a vintage white shell pair, pearl studs, and my classic diamond studs.
11) Blue & White Printed Scarf - To give basic outfits a girly, spring vibe, I’m packing two scarves (one is a short, pink neck scarf) including a blue + white printed one to wear with sweaters and jeans.
12) White Converse - These are my favorite travel shoes because they endure everything. I don’t want to pack my big wellies for this trip, so I’m taking the white Converse because they do well in the rain or shine.
13) Beige Suede Slides - I adore my beige slides! They’re the perfect balance of casual and dressy, depending on how you style them.
14) Small Basket Bag - Since it is spring after all, I can’t travel without my favorite basket bag.
15) Barrington Tote - My Barrington tote is the perfect travel bag. I’ll carry it on the plane and use it on days when I need to carry more with me, such as my camera or snacks.
16) Instax Mini 8 - I actually bought this camera just for this trip (and I’ll use it in the future, too) because I want to be able to have cute little polaroids to put in my journal.
17) Fujifilm x-t20 - I’m also, of course, taking my mirrorless Fujifilm x-t20 camera and 35 mm lens to use for taking photos around the city.
18) Trench Coat - You can’t very well go to London or Amsterdam, in my opinion, without a trench coat. I’m actually taking two (which I plan on sharing and swapping out), one that’s lighter and one a little bulkier just in case.
19) Rain Jacket - So that poor weather can’t ruin the day, I’m packing my hooded rain jacket.
20) Wide Brim Hat - As another way of re-styling a simple outfit, I’m taking my wide brim brown hat.
1) Gingham Day Dress - I’m taking a fun, periwinkle gingham dress to (hopefully) wear on our day in Notting Hill and Kensington Palace Gardens because I think the color will be so fun surrounded by all of the pastel buildings and flowers.
2) White Cashmere Sweater - I love this versatile sweater because cashmere works in so many different climates. I’ll be pairing this with my jeans and various accessories.
3) Black Square Neck Blouse - This square neck blouse is so flattering and looks especially good with gold jewelry and statement earrings. It will definitely be a piece that I rewear as much as possible.
4) White Tee - The perfect layering piece, right? I plan on wearing it quite a bit under my cardigan and trench coats, styled with scarves and different necklaces.
5) Black Silk Camisole - Another good layering piece, I love wearing black camisoles for any occasion, dressed up or down. I will probably wear with with my cardigan and Lululemon leggings for our outdoorsy day.
6) Long Beige Cardigan - One of my favorite outer layers is a thin, beige cardigan that I wear all the time at home to the point that it’s almost like a comfort blanket.
7) Blue High-Waisted Jeans - One of two pairs of jeans I’m taking with me, my blue high-waisted pair from Madewell are so comfortable and flattering.
8) Black High-Waisted Jeans - Black skinny jeans have been my go-to for years. I’ll mix and match them with everything else I bring as they are a perfect base for any outfit.
9) Gold Pendant Necklace - To dress my outfits up, I’m bringing a couple of different gold necklaces.